Volunteers are encouraged to commit to one or two afternoons each week during the traditional school year. It is important to honor that commitment. The students benefit from the working and mentoring relationships that develop during the year. The volunteers get to know the students, understand their academic needs and develop a strong rapport with them.
- Assist with homework and basic skills activities to promote learning and to strengthen student’s self-confidence.
- Work with students to develop reading, writing and math skills.
- Maintain order to provide an atmosphere conducive to learning for all students and to ensure the safety of all students.
- Evaluate performance and document progress after each session in the individual student folders.
- Encourage teamwork and responsibility by overseeing students as they clean their work area and return materials to proper place.
- Participate in enrichment activities developed to promote confidence, competence and caring attributes.